Many of us are empty nesters, and we cherish the times when our children and their friends and families return home. I think a quilter’s love language is not just in the quilts that we gift, it’s also in the way we display and use quilts in our homes. We want all who enter to feel enveloped in warmth and love. That is especially true during the holidays. Today I’m excited to share a new version of my Welcome Home Wreath Pattern!
Back in 2017 I released my Welcome Home Wreath pattern, a festive 48 1/2” square wall hanging. My original pattern featured Juniper Berry Fabrics by Basic Grey and some gorgeous custom quilting by Nancy Jolene Quilting. This quilt went to my mother-in-law. She displays it over the back of her sofa during the holidays.
Later in 2018 I made a second sample, this time featuring some favorite Fig Tree fabrics and beautiful custom quilting by Starlit Quilts. This quilt was displayed in my dining room in our home by the lake for the first holiday season, and then it went on loan to my mom so she could enjoy it for a while.
When I learned that Lella Boutique is releasing her Christmas Eve collection this year (a sister collection to Christmas Morning), I decided it was high time that I sew up another Welcome Home Wreath. I finished the 48 1/2” square top and laid it on the bed in my guest room so that it would stay wrinkle free while I worked on other projects.
Then one evening, I walked into the guest room and thought, “Wow, that needs to be a bed quilt!” So, I kept it simple and just added a series of four borders. I’m so happy with how it turned out! I’ve never put this many borders on one quilt before, but it seems to work!
I ended up with a 72 1/2” square quilt that lays nicely on the queen-sized bed. I always use my quilts as layered toppers to neutral coverlets, so I don’t need to make them extra big or worry about mattress thickness or drop.
I also took a picture of the quilt laying flat, so you can see it better.
The lovely quilting that you see was done by Katy at Woods Edge Quilting. She used a panto called Swirly Snowflakes. It is a gorgeous design, and it fills the white space so nicely! Thanks so much, Katy!
If you already own my pattern and would like to make this larger version, I have included the instructions below. If you don’t have this pattern yet, it is available as a PDF on my Etsy Shop. I have attached a supplement page to that pattern which includes these same simple “Added Border” instructions.
Welcome Home Wreath: Added Border Instructions
(New finished size: 72 1/2” square)
- All materials for the top as listed on the original pattern
- Four New Borders:
- Border A (shown as red dot) ½ yard
- Border B (shown as Green “Fa La La”) ½ yard
- Border C (shown as white plaid) ½ yard
- Border D (shown as red wreath) 1 ½ yard
- Backing: increase to 4 ½ yards
- Binding: increase to 5/8 yard
- Border A Cut (7) strips 2 ½” x WOF. Join together end-to-end.
- Border B Cut (7) strips 2 ½” x WOF. Join together end-to-end.
- Border C Cut (7) strips 2 ½” x WOF. Join together end to end.
- Border D Cut (8) strips 6 ½” x WOF. Join together end-to-end.
- Complete the top to 48 1/2” x 48 1/2” as directed on the original pattern.
- Sew border A to the left and right sides. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border A to the top and bottom. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border B to the left and right sides. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border B to the top and bottom. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border C to the left and right sides. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border C to the top and bottom. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border D to the left and right sides. Press to the border and trim.
- Sew border D to the top and bottom. Press to the border and trim.
- Quilt and bind as desired.
12 thoughts on “Welcome Home Wreath: Wall hanging turned bed quilt!”
Wow – this quilt is just stunning in Lella Boutique’s new Christmas line! Love the beautiful quilting on it too!
I just cannot get over how pretty her Christmas collections are. They are so so good!!
It’s fantastic! Love this❤️
Thanks Nancy! 🙂
This is beautiful, Taunja. I love the look of it as a bed quilt. It’s on my must make list for sure!
Thanks Gerri! LB’s Christmas collections make everything look great!!
That is beautiful!
Thank you Rita!
I hope some quilt store makes a kit out of this pattern and fabric.
Thanks LuAnn! I do have connections to a few really great quilt shop owners that would probably help you in gathering the fabrics you need to make this. Shoot me an email if you’d like!
I would love to have the name of some quilt stores that might help me with purchasing fabric for this quilt.
I would love to have the name of some quilt stores that would put this fabric and pattern in a quilt kit. Thanks so much.